Self care is something I really struggle with. There is too much to do, and not enough time to get things done. Of course, I always think that I am the only one that can do these tasks. Problem is, I am often the only one. I don’t deal with stress well. I feel it in my head, shoulders, and stomach. Now, due to prolonged stress I even feel it in my legs. That’s a new one. So I am working on relaxing as much as I can. Here are a few things that I do to relax.
- Take a deep breath. I take 5 minutes, usually in the car, where I turn off all media and take deep breaths to reset. Try it when you are waiting in your car.
- Journal. I have kept a journal since I was 10. Need some help starting one? Check out my monthly journal prompts. A journal can be done in anything. You can use a journal, plain notebook, loose paper, or a computer.
- Go to a rolfer. Rolfing has really helped me with both pain and stress. Rolfing works by manipulating the connecting tissue of the body. After a session I always stand a bit taller.
- Call a friend, call your mother, call someone and let it out. If that isn’t your thing, then just call to catch up. I will get your mind off it.
- Have a short stay somewhere. Go for a night or two to a hotel. Spend some time alone. You need it.
What are ways you like to take care of yourself?
Here are five new ways to pamper yourself this month. Which are you going to try?
- Paint your nails. You could also get someone else to. I prefer to go every other month for a pedicure. I just sit back and relax for the hour.
- Cuddle. Sort of self explanatory. Cuddle your cat. Cuddle you dog. Cuddle you kid. Cuddle your husband. You get the idea.
- Try a new food. No need to go extreme. It could be trying a new fruit, a new flavor of gum or you can take a three month subscription to a food service. Go online and find a new style of cuisine to try.
- Give yourself a facial mask.
- Listen to a new podcast.
Self Care is the latest trend in the blog world. There are whole blogs devoted to the concept. If you are like me you need some serious self-care but don’t always know what to do. Each month I will give you some different ideas for relaxing and recharging. Sometimes we need some gentle reminders to take care of ourselves.
- Read a chapter out of that book on your nightstand. You know the one you have been meaning to read but haven’t gotten around to doing.
- Take a quick 10 minutes to declutter a spot in your home. Pick something you see everyday to clear like your coat closet or medicine cabinet.
- Turn the phone off. Easy right? It’s harder than you think. We use our phones for everything today. Even an hour of no phone use can help you unwind.
- Talk a quick walk around the block. You don’t have to break a sweat, just get away from it all for a short time.
- Take a bath. I personally love a long, hot bath. You can pick a favorite bath bomb or bubble bath, light a candle, and put on some relaxing music to enjoy.
What do you like to do for self care? Let me know!
Here are some quick and basic self care ideas for you to practice this week!
- Take a bath
- Play with your pet
- Play a game.
- Take a nature hike.
- Practice taking deep breaths several times a day.
- Unplug. No electronics for a day.
- Have a film festival of your favorite genre.
- De-clutter your social media
- Color in an adult coloring book
- Use essential oil or burn a candle and enjoy the fragrance.
Which ones did you try?