Remember when they said computers will be the end of paper and books? So funny now. If anything it has helped increase our clutter ten fold. Not to mention the actual electronics themselves. They become obsolete so quickly they are clutter in their own right.
Below, you will find a monthly list of five quick things to declutter in your home. Enjoy.
1. Your school supplies. Target alredy has their back to school out. I’m starting to see sales too. We all have extra supplies we store at the end of the previous year. Toss things that no longer work or donate what you no longer need. Make a list of what you still need too.
2. Games and puzzles. Have any that are missing pieces. Let them go. Also a great time to donate ones you have outgrown.
3. Shoes. Some are worn out, some you only wore once, and several can be outgrown by the kids. If you are not saving them for family, donate or toss depending on the state of them.
4. Keychain. Some of us only have one or two keys on our keychain. Some have more. If you are in the more category can you let some of them go? Do you really need your grandmother’s keys from 40 years ago? Your family isn’t even in the house anymore. If it is sentimental keep one of the keys. Let go or the rest.
5. Kids keepsakes. Sure we all keep things from our child’s formative years. But the real question is how much have you kept. I’m talking about papers now. We will get to other items later. Artwork, old tests, and their book reports can be let go. If you want to, keep the best 5 are pieces of art and let the others go.
Hope this gives you some motivation. Remember, that these are quick tasks that you should be able to do in a short amount of time. Don’t ruminate on the items. Happy tossing.
Since the 5 things to clean article is about spring cleaning, I am coordinating the clutter cleaning list too. So we will start in the kitchen. Here is this months list:
1. Unused Tea/Coffee/Sweeteners- excess water enhancers, that tea you only had one packet of two years ago. Get it gone!
2. Excess Spices. Treat them just like the tea above.
3. Mugs and Glasses. Do you really use your collection of world’s greatest mom mugs?
4. Unused Kitchen Gadgets. Never used the bread maker from you wedding gifts you got more then 10 years ago? Send it to the island of under-used kitchen products!
5. Anything chipped or cracked.
Okay, at this point I have reached my 5. However, I still have a few decluttering points.
6. Get rid of excess serving pieces.
7. Tupperware or plastic storage items.
Here is the monthly list of 10 things you need to clean. These are things that you normally don’t clean on a day to day basis. Things that maybe you have forgotten about cleaning or things you have let go. Take these ten for the month and get some things accomplished.
- Wash the pet dishes. When was the last time you put Fido’s or Fifi’s dishes through the dishwasher? Get them in there for an extra sparkle.
- Pet Food Storage. Staying in the pet theme, clean you pet food storage. We take our dry cat and dog food and put it in a Tupperware-esque container to keep it secure and fresh. Get all those crumbs out of the bottom and give it a good soap and water rinse.
- Garden Supplies. Fall is here. I’ve already put away my flower pots. I tossed a few that were on their last legs. Get rid of that awful tomato cage that doesn’t work, or the old rusty garden trowel.
- Desk Drawers. Since we are in the back to school time you can replace much of your supplies with new that is also on sale. Get rid of the nubby pencils, buy an electric pencil sharpener, get new markers etc.
- Bathroom drawers. Kind of the same as the above. College is starting. There are a lot of sales on cosmetics and personal care items. Get rid of the unusable and empty for new.
- Bathroom holders. Since we are on the topic of bathrooms it’s time to clean out all those bathroom holders. Everything from the soap holder in the shower to the items underneath the sink give a good clean.
- Purse. We’ve all had to clean out our bags. Now is the time to take a moment and give the bag a real cull. Take the time to buy some bag organizers to make things easier to find.
- Cup holders. My car cup holders are always getting disgusting. How are yours holding up?
- Glove Compartment/Center Console. Get those old CD’s out of there. Can’t remember what that cord is for? If it’s not your phone or other device let it go.
- Hobbies. Okay, this is sort of a big category isn’t it? Well, I’m not asking you to clear out a hobby itself. Just to pick one hobby, let’s say scrapbooking. Go through all your supplies and clean them out. An ink pad that is dry. Let it go. That baby bottle stamper you bought when your child was born, who is now 12 years old. Donate. You get the point. Pick just one hobby though. Let me know what you chose in the comments below.