Reading is something I love to do. It is something that I haven’t done in the last year. I know my son’s current problems have lead to me not read anymore. I’m just too mentally spent. I only lately seem to have time for podcasts. I have a huge pile of books that need to be read! One of my new goals for 2019 is to get my pile of books read.
I love to read all types of books. The following are my top five favorite books:
- Skeletons on the Zahara by Dean King. This is an epic true story of survival when 12 merchant sailors where shipwrecked on the coast of Africa in 1812. Kidnapped and sold into slavery only a few would survive thanks to the generosity of a single stranger.
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Memoirs was a New York Times best seller, and this book also appears on PBS’s Great American Read. Geisha tells the story of Nitta who at a young age was sold to a Geisha house. It follows her through her trials and tribulations to become a Geisha herself.
- The Land of White Death by Valerian Albanov. Another true story of survival. See a pattern here? I love to figure out what motivates people and why they do what they do. This is a journal of crewman Valerian Albanov and how he became the only survivor of the expedition ship Saint Anna.
- The Gryphon and Sabine Trilogy by Nick Bantock. I love this whole series. It’s the combination of a great story with artwork. It’s a quick read that is really enjoyable.
- The Tatooed Map: A Novel by Barbara Hodgson. If you like the last recommendation you will love this novel by Barbara Hodgson. It’s a very short read, but the combination of art and story are wonderful. This is a great book for a creative in your life.
What are your favorite books? Are there any you are giving for Christmas? Let me know in the replies below.