Each month I like to list ten different fashion terms and their meanings. Sometimes, the terms are historical, some are modern, some are even no longer in use. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. There are so many things to know!
1. Shirting- A term for any of a number of fabrics used for men’s and women’s shirts such as broadcloth, chambray, madras, oxford, and poplin.
2. Secondary Line- A version of a company’s popular main line that is produced at a lower cost out of lower priced materials.
3. Ultramarine- Rich deep purple-blue color made from powdered lapis lazuli, or chemicals to reach the same color.
4. Tyrian Purple- Red-Purple Color originally obtained from shellfish found off the shores of Tyre in ancient Palestine. It was reserved for royalty.
5. Bias Slip- A slip cut on the diagonal of the fabric to give a more body conscious fit, it can stretch to conform to the movements of the body.
6.Silk- Fiber from insects that is produced when they spin their cocoons (a silkworm). It is strong, resilient and elastic.
7. Cocktail Ring- A large, noticeable ring that can be real or costume.
8. Lapel Pin- A woman’s pin originally worn on the lapel of a suit.
9. Peignoir- A loose wrap or jacket and skirt set worn by a woman for informal bed clothes or coverings.
10. Millefiore- An Italian word that means thousands of flowers. Used to describe a tiny flower print in clothing and jewelry.