Self care is something I really struggle with. There is too much to do, and not enough time to get things done. Of course, I always think that I am the only one that can do these tasks. Problem is, I am often the only one. I don’t deal with stress well. I feel it in my head, shoulders, and stomach. Now, due to prolonged stress I even feel it in my legs. That’s a new one. So I am working on relaxing as much as I can. Here are a few things that I do to relax.
- Take a deep breath. I take 5 minutes, usually in the car, where I turn off all media and take deep breaths to reset. Try it when you are waiting in your car.
- Journal. I have kept a journal since I was 10. Need some help starting one? Check out my monthly journal prompts. A journal can be done in anything. You can use a journal, plain notebook, loose paper, or a computer.
- Go to a rolfer. Rolfing has really helped me with both pain and stress. Rolfing works by manipulating the connecting tissue of the body. After a session I always stand a bit taller.
- Call a friend, call your mother, call someone and let it out. If that isn’t your thing, then just call to catch up. I will get your mind off it.
- Have a short stay somewhere. Go for a night or two to a hotel. Spend some time alone. You need it.
What are ways you like to take care of yourself?