Trying to be environmentally friendly but don’t know where to start? Here are five quick tips that you can incorporate into your everyday life. Which ones are you going to try?
- Reusable containers. We all know about storing leftovers right? You can also use these containers to carry you lunch, thus eliminating the need for both plastic and paper bags. If you are going to a restaurant that loves to give large portions take a reusable container for the leftover. Styrofoam never biodegrades! You can also use these containers for craft items, office supplies and storage for a variety of things.
- Tote Bags. I can remember a time when no one bought reusable bags to the grocery store. Now it is common place. Just remember to keep the bags close at hand. It doesn’t help if you forget to bring the bags with you.
- Don’t use beauty products with microbeads. Microbeads are micro plastic beads used to exfoliate the skin. These plastic products like their bag counterparts don’t biodegrade and end up in our water supply. Yum!
- Save water. There are many ways you can save on water usage. You can install low flow toilets and shower heads. Update your appliances to make them energy efficient. Turn off the water when you brush your teeth. Plant a rain garden or use a water tank/barrel outside. Even take a shorter shower!
- Use paperclips instead of staples. Paperclips can be used more than once!
What are some of your favorite ways to help the environment?