When my phone rang on a very windy, snowy weekday I expected to hear my son on the other end crying or begging me to come. It wasn’t. It was one of the therapists telling me they were going to discharge my son from the program. What? It was only five days! We removed him from another program track to get him into this one. I have no place to put him. So my husband drove the hour to go pick him up in a winter snow storm. Two hours later my son was home.
They told us he did not have an eating disorder. We couldn’t believe it. All the previous therapists told us how sick he was. This facility said that although his BMI is less than 15, his weight is in the 50th percentile. So he doesn’t qualify for weight restoration. In addition, they said they were doing more harm to him than good. His anxiety and depression ramped up lot. He was still talking about suicide. They felt he would only be more damaged if they continued. So he is now home, not in school. I have been rushing to try and find a new place for him. He really hasn’t had enough therapy to make much of an impact. I feel like we wasted more than a month for nothing. It didn’t help him one bit. So frustrating!
I immediately got him on the wait list for the last PHP (Partial Hospitalization Program) he was in. There are over 20+ children a head of him. He may not get in till summer. In the meantime, he is not in school. So I have him seeing his regular therapist twice a week and his psychiatrist every month. We are also once again changing his medication. As of tomorrow, he will be on his third med so far. I hope this one works. We are a bit desperate for something to work.
I have also contacted his school district about enrolling him in his school. We are trying to get him home bound instruction now. It’s where a tutor will come to the house to help him catch up. He is behind since January. I hope we can get him caught up. Fortunately, he is very intelligent. The classes that matter are Math, English, and Science. So those we will be working on. Getting home bound, they told me takes time. I just want to pull my hair out.
I will be meeting with some teachers and advisors from his school to discuss his IEP on Tuesday. I will have to see where we are then. I also need to get tutors for the summer. I also need to make sure our therapy is the best it can be. So much to do with no clear direction to relief.